chocolate peanut butter surprise cookie-gluten free
These cookies are addictive and a once in a while treat and oh so easy to make. Sweet Peas Kitchen has some great recipes but not specific to gluten free or vegan folks. Here is her awesome recipe with the gluten free flour mix. For a vegan version use egg replacer and vegan butter and enjoy the heck out of these treats!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Surprise Cookies
Sweet Pea's Kitchen
1 1/2 cups gluten free flour mix
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar (plus more for rolling)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup creamy peanut butter, divided
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 375º F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together gluten free flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together sugars, butter and 1/4 cup of peanut butter until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and egg, beating to combine. Stir in the flour mixture and stir to combine, blending well. Set aside.
4. In a medium bowl, mix together powdered sugar and remaining 3/4 cup of peanut butter until smooth.
5. Pull off a heaping tablespoon of cookie dough and flatten with your hands. Take about 1 teaspoon of peanut butter mixture and place it in the center of the chocolate dough. Wrap the chocolate dough around the peanut butter center, pressing to seal. Roll the cookie into a ball and roll the cookie in the sugar. Place cookies on the prepared baking sheet 2 inches apart. Using the bottom of a glass, flatten each cookie to about a 1/2 inch thickness.
6. Bake in preheated oven for 7 to 9 minutes. Let stand on the baking sheet for 2 minutes, then remove to a wire rack.